Re: HOW TO GIVE A DEFAULT TO A TRULY INTERACTIVE FUNCTION

From: gnuist006
Subject: Re: HOW TO GIVE A DEFAULT TO A TRULY INTERACTIVE FUNCTION
Date: 17 Oct 2002 07:22:41 -0700

"Bingham, Jay" <Jay.Bingham@hp.com> wrote in message
news:<mailman.1034620095.15632.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...

> Here is your function using a string arg-descriptor, that does some very
> crude numeric validation and inserts a 5 when nothing is entered at the
> prompt.
>
> (defun demo (&optional number)
>   "Demo of an     optional argument of the function."
>   (interactive "sEnter a numeric value:")
>   (setq defaultval "5")
>   (if (string= "" number) (setq number defaultval))
>   (if (not (string-match "[:alpha:]" number))
>       (insert (format "%s" number))
>     (message "non-numeric value entered, please re-enter"))
>   )

It works on my GNU Emacs 20.3.1 when modified to:

  (if (string-match "[0-9]+" number)
      (insert (format "%s" number))
    (message "non-numeric value entered, please re-enter"))
  )

But as you said below fails to ask number again when "x" is given
as the value. I am still lookin for a good solution that does validation
and probably displays the default value when it asks the number
first time without ruining single instantiation of the default value.