Re: State of the art in Emacs outlining?

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: State of the art in Emacs outlining?
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 23:02:34 +0800

"Tom Davey" <tdavey@sputnik.com> writes:

> Is there a preferred elisp package (or combination) in use today for
> Emacs outlining? I am a little confused by the several packages out
> there -- outline.el, of course, and allout.el and folding.el and others

I like allout.el because it works well with other modes (although
planner.el and allout.el fight about C-c C-n and other bindings). The
Emacswiki:AllOut page has a note on how to add decent fontlocking. =)

Another thing I like about allout.el is its automatically numbered
lists. It's pretty cool. I also like the fact that allout's pretty
flexible about outline prefixes and the bullets you use. Sometimes the
regexes need a little tweaking, though - I'd been having problems with
allout.el and HTML. Fixed it with a kludge, will get around to filing
a bug report sooner or later. <sheepish grin>

folding.el is probably also really cool, but allout.el's taken care of
all of my needs so far, so I don't really have a compelling reason to
try folding.el out ('cept for the fact that it's there). One of these
days. Maybe you can try out folding.el, allout.el and other outline
major/minor modes you encounter, then write about which one you like
most. <g>

--
Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph> - 4 BS CS Ateneo geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, wearables, teaching compsci