Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:27:24 +0200

pjacklam@online.no (Peter J. Acklam) writes:

> Actually, coding-category-utf-8 is the last element in the list,
> but placing it first, or even letting coding-category-utf-8 be the
> only element in coding-category-list doesn't help.  The buffer
> still ends up as "Unibyte no-conversion buffer".

I'm no Mule guru.  I'm sorry to say that I'm at the end of my rope
now.  I know that this behavior was intentional, though: the Emacs
21.1 and 21.2 support for UTF-8 is still less than perfect, so UTF-8
was deliberately left out of autodetection.  I don't know what needs
to be done to enable it.

[time passes]

Aha, the CVS version of Emacs also does not auto-detect UTF-8
properly (tested with Markus Kuhn's UTF-8-demo.txt).

An alternative to the coding cookies is file-coding-system-alist.

kai