Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:20:23 +0200

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> Kai
>  =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=
> <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>], who wrote in article
> <vafelbfw4cc.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>:
>
>> In my understanding, telling Emacs "use the foo font to display
>> gb2312 encoded characters" amounts to pretty much the same thing as
>> telling Emacs "the foo font is in gb2312 encoding".
>
> Well, this is not enough.  A font in gb2312 encoding *has* cyrillic
> glyphs.  Will Emacs use them if they are present?

At the moment, the functionality is lacking indeed.  There is a file
latin1-disp.el which allows you to display some latin-2 characters
using their latin-1 equivalents, and vice versa.  But I think this
doesn't work with other fonts.

Note that for Emacs, a Cyrillic character in GB2312 and a Cyrillic
character in KOI-R (and so on) are all different characters, even
though they might look the same.  I don't know how much of this will
change in Emacs 22, but at the moment, that's the way it is.  And
because Emacs considers them to be different characters, Emacs
doesn't use glyphs for one character to display another.  And
latin1-disp.el is the exception from that rule...

kai