Re: ChangeLog and Version Control

From: Richard V. Molen
Subject: Re: ChangeLog and Version Control
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:34:53 GMT

Thanks Aman, this was what I was looking for.  I hacked up an
alternative that doesn't prompt -- "if it's the ChangeLog, don't add
the comment." (see below). It's the "I'm not an ELisper" version, but
it seems to work.  Improvements are welcome.

It would be even nicer if I could keep the ChangeLog from 'popping up'
each time -- summary comments could be added explicitly w/ C-x 4 a.

Thank you Kai for your comments on C-x 4 a -- I'll have to try that
approach.  It has more features than I realised.

******************************
;asks whether to automatically insert last Version control log entry into
;ChangeLog & allow ChangeLog editing.  Answer 'n' after C-x C-q...C-c C-c
;of ChangeLog to prevent adding its log entry to itself.
(defun vc-checkin-add-log-no-prompt ()
  (let ((log (find-change-log)))
  (and log
     (not (string-match
         (format "%s" (file-relative-name log))
         (format "%s" (file-relative-name buffer-file-name))))
     (vc-comment-to-change-log nil log))))

(add-hook 'vc-checkin-hook 'vc-checkin-add-log-no-prompt)

(setq vc-command-messages t   ;display version control backend messages?
      vc-initial-comment t    ;request initial log entry when adding a file.
 )

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.