Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:41:03 +0900 (JST)

I wrote:
>                 (encoded by coding system iso-2022-7bit-unix)
>
> Unless I am completely misunderstanding something (and I may well be, for I
> am not a programmer) if this file is encoded as iso-2022-7bit, it seems that
> we should not be using
> it as a test example of utf-8 functionality.

I am pretty sure now that I am right about this, because when I check the
codepoints in this file

> http://www.acmuller.net/test.txt

I get this kind of result:

   category: h:Korean
buffer code: 0x93 0xBF 0xF8
  file code: 0xEC 0x9B 0x90
             (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)

So I think we can forget about HELLO for the purposes of the present discussion.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787