RE: Need help with show-paren-mode

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: Need help with show-paren-mode
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:33:15 -0500

I use mic-paren (http://user.it.uu.se/~mic/emacs.shtml) for parenthesis
matching.  I just did a very simple test with 21 levels of nesting it appears
to work correctly.  That is what I would recommend.

Here is the long description from the file header:

;;; mic-paren.el is an extension and replacement to the packages paren.el
;;; and stig-paren.el for Emacs. When mic-paren is active (it is activated
;;; when loaded) Emacs normal parenthesis matching is deactivated. Instead
;;; parenthesis matching will be performed as soon as the cursor is
;;; positioned at a parenthesis. The matching parenthesis (or the entire
;;; expression between the parenthesises) is highlighted until the cursor
;;; is moved away from the parenthesis. Features include:
;;; o Both forward and backward parenthesis matching (simultaneously if
;;;   cursor is between two expressions).
;;; o Indication of mismatched parenthesises.
;;; o Recognition of "escaped" (also often called "quoted") parenthesises.
;;; o Option to match "escaped" parens too, especially in (La)TeX-mode
;;;   (e.g. matches expressions like "\(foo bar\)" properly).
;;; o Offers two functions as replacement for forward-sexp and
;;;   backward-sexp which handle properly quoted parens (s.a.). These new
;;;   functions can automatically be bounded to the orgiginal binding of
;;;   the standard forward-sexp and backward-sexp functions.
;;; o Option to activate matching of paired delimiter (i.e. characters with
;;;   syntax '$'). This is useful for writing in LaTeX-mode for example.
;;; o Option to select in which situations (always, never, if match, if
;;;   mismatch) the entire expression should be highlighted or only the
;;;   matching parenthesis.
;;; o Message describing the match when the matching parenthesis is
;;;   off-screen (vertical and/or horizontal). Message contains the
;;;   linenumber. Option to select in which cases this message should be
;;;   displayed.
;;; o Optional delayed highlighting (useful on slow systems),
;;; o Functions to activate/deactivate mic-paren.el is provided.
;;; o Numerous options to control the behaviour and appearance of
;;;   mic-paren.el.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-