Re: Better buffer menu?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Better buffer menu?
Date: 07 Sep 2002 10:01:41 +0900

> Actually, I thought it'd also have effect on the menubar thing.
> Amazing that it doesn't.

Yeah, the whole buffers-menu situation is kind of screwed up in emacs;
too many separate implementations of the same thing not sharing any
behavior.

It's been one of those things I've wanted to clean up, but of course,
`so little tyme'...

> After trying this out, may I suggest msb.el, like another poster
> did.  That might do the trick better.  It makes the C-down-mouse-1
> menu and the menubar menu look alike, and it can be configured to
> just as you like.

msb-mode seems to do what the original poster wanted though.

Probably the various modes ought to be merged to some degree.  For
instance, I added some control variables like `buffers-menu-show-status'
to the normal buffers-menu code which I'd like msb-mode to pay attention
to as well.  In fact, I think it would be cleaner to have the
distinction of `grouped by type' etc. an orthogonal attribute of the
normal buffers-menu, rather than a separate mode (the current
implementation is presumably because msb-mode was originall distributed
separately from emacs).

-Miles
--
I have seen the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo