Re: problems printing non-usascii characters

From: A . L . Meyers
Subject: Re: problems printing non-usascii characters
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:42:08 +0200

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> writes:
>
>> Sounds simple but it puts me out of my depths, which, admittedly, are
>> very shallow.  Some observations:
>>
>> 1. The problem exists with Gentoo GNU/Linux, not with Debian 3.0.
>> (Perhaps blissful Southwestern US Province influence; they would
>> anyway have preferred countinuing with 7bit ascii forever. ;-) )
>
> What did you do in Woody (that's the version, right?) to make it work?
> It's not working in my Woody :-(
>
> Maybe you installed some font package.  Hm.  "apt-cache search bdf"
> doesn't turn up fonts, only utilities.

Yes, Woody, now stable.  Just used dselect and installed all the
available fonts including Chinese, Vietnamese, everything.  My
assumption was:  if they are all there, each app will gobble the ones
it wants.  Apparently works.

>> 2. Cannot find the verb "to frob" in my English dictionary.
>
> It means to change.  It also has some connotations about how
> fine-grained it is, but I'm sure that http://www.dict.org/ (there's
> also an Emacs interface called dict-web.el I think) has the full
> story.
>
>> 3. Have a Postscript level 3 printer.  How can I know if it "groks"
>> (he-he) Latin-9 directly?
>
> I suggest to pretend it does.  Then print some umlauts and see if they
> come out.  Then print the euro sign and see what you get.

On the Debian machine don't even have a ps capable printer.  Use
apsfilter.  But nevertheless don't get error messages.  ps-print just
works.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15