Problem with editing files (emacs for SUSE Linux)

From: Michael Wolf
Subject: Problem with editing files (emacs for SUSE Linux)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:23:20 +0200

Hi there,

I am not sure whether this is the right outlet for my question. But I am quite desperate, so please forgive me if it's not.

I have used emas before on different platforms and I have never had the
problem that I am having right now. Also, I have not changed the work with emacs in any way.

What happens is the following: when I edit a file (whether it is a text file, a Latex file, a C++ file, etc.) all of sudden unwanted changes appear in my file. Basically, a part of text that I had deleted somewhere else earlier on (and at times even text that I had deleted outside of emacs) will appear out of nowhere all over my file. Say, it might appear in 5 to 10 different locations! I have no idea what trigggers this and, of course, it is very annoying. Since I have never had this problem before, I am tempted to conclude it could be due to a bug in my particular version of emacs:

GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-suse-linux)

If you have any pointers, please reply to me directly, since I am not subscribed to the group. My e-mail address is: michael.wolf@econ.upf.es

Thanks much,
Michael