Fonts automatically thinned in emacs-21?

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Fonts automatically thinned in emacs-21?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:58:36 -0400

Hi,

problem with emacs-21.2:

I like to use the "vga" font on X11, which works fine on previous
versions of emacs.  This font is made of pretty thick lines.

Emacs-21.2 seems to automatically thin these lines.  It takes the
geometry of the "vga" font just fine, but not the layout of the
characters.  It seems to me that this is an emacs-21.2 feature I don't
want but I can't figure out how to turn it off.

I put screenshots here:
what I want: http://www.cons.org/tmp/l1.gif
what I get:  http://www.cons.org/tmp/l2.gif

Please note that I am sure the actual loading of the font succeeded.
emacs-21.2 changed th size of the font (and hence the window) just
fine and it arrives at the new font geometry as specified in the "vga"
font, switching away fromt he previously loaded font.  But the new
font is thinned.

If you know how to solve this, please tell me.  I just want the one
font and don't need attributes.

Thanks
        Martin