Re: new line

From: bji-emacs
Subject: Re: new line
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:18:22 GMT

Carlisle Thacker wrote:

How do I search and replace replace blank spaces with line breaks?
I'm using emacs 20.2.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6, X toolkit).

There may be better ways, but what I usually do to query-replace stuff that I can't type, is M-x query-replace, then copy the to-be-replaced text out of my buffer, paste it into the mini buffer, hit return, then copy the to-replace-with text out of my buffer, paste it into the mini buffer, and hit return to start the query-replace. Essentially what I am talking about is copying the text directly out of the buffer and into the mini buffer for stuff that I can't type easily (it works well for newlines, DOS end of line characters, etc). Like I said, there is probably a much more sophisticated way to type special characters into the mini buffer during a query replace, but I don't know what it is.
Hope this helps, and best wishes,
Bryan
Bryan Ischo             bryan@ischo.com                   1992 Mazda 929
Cupertino, CA, USA      http://www.ischo.com            RedHat Linux 7.1