serious emacs issue on Linux

From: Ellen Williamson
Subject: serious emacs issue on Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:34:07 -0600

Hello,

I have a relatively new Linux compute farm I am trying to build emacs
for to put into /usr/local rather than /bin.  I can build it fine (no
errors), and when it installs emacs, everything looks great.  The first
time I go to run the executable, I get the error:

Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

And a file command on the file says:

% file /usr/local/bin/emacs
/usr/local/bin/emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators

Can anyone help me with this???

thanks,
Ellen Williamson      Manager, Systems Administration
Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation
1921 Corporate Center Circle, Bldg 3F              Longmont, Co.80501
720-652-4452          cell 303-478-7754            ellenw@vitesse.com