Re: [Help-glpk] 200Mb of Tables - xmalloc error

From: Noli Sicad
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] 200Mb of Tables - xmalloc error
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:36:29 +1100

Hi Andrew,

> I'm running a Windows XP 32bit with 1.95 Gb of RAM.
>
> I'm am trying to build a model using .csv files, but am running out of
> memory (see xmalloc error below).

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be happening?
>

> GLPSOL: GLPK LP/MIP Solver 4.38
> Reading model section from 22_Oct_Model.mod...
> 318 lines were read
> Reading tab_Stands...
> Reading tab_Prescriptions...
> Reading tab_All_Stand_Types...
> Reading tab_Yield_Types...
> Reading tab_Ecodistricts...
> Reading tab_Mills...
> Reading tab_Segs...
> Reading tab_Tsheds...
> Reading tab_Ndrs...
> Reading tab_Excl...
> Reading tab_Buffer...
> Reading tab_Stand_Area...
> Reading tab_Stand_Age...
> Reading tab_Stand_Types...
> Reading tab_Stand_Types_Eco...
> Reading tab_Stand_Ecod...
> Reading tab_Stand_Tshed...
> Reading tab_Stand_Ndr...
> Reading tab_Stand_Buffer...
> Reading tab_Yields...
> xmalloc: no memory available
> Error detected in file ..\src\glplib07.c at line 72

Just a suggestion, try to place  (i.e. translate) your Yields.csv file
into  Text format and put in the DATA section. Use * notation and
transpose (tr) (see below). I think it will reduce your memory usage
significantly. CSV data has a lot of redundant data entries which
could be eliminated using using Text format.

~~~~
e.g.

param Yield
[*, OTD, *] (tr):

        TRV     SCOST   PCOST   P1P2    SLOG    PULP    CFREV   LCOST   TCOST
SACOST  RCOST:=
1       12      842.0   0.0     0       7       5       482.0   187.0   0.0
20.0    75.0

~~~~

OTD is croptype (i.e. Otago Thinned Douglas fir).

BTW, I running big model in 64 bit environment (e.g. Mac OS X) has no
problem at all. In fact I run 2 instances of glpsol at the same time.
My model runs almost 20 minutes because of complex data reporting
needed for these Excel graphs.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116847891529748214201/ForestValueFOLPIBasedFormulationForestValuationForestEstateModellingAndWoodflowModel#5801579498668327618

I use the Text format for data input and use CSV for output.

Regards,

Noli