Re: [Help-glpk] function

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] function
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:32:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Mate Hegyhati wrote:

Hi Zvonko,

maybe something like this?

R >= 0
R <= P - PMIN*X
R <= PMAX*X - P

This fails for X=0.
R >= 0
PMAX >= P >= 0       // might be redundant
if X==1 P >= PMIN    // might be redundant
if X==1 R <= P - PMIN
if X==1 R <= PMAX - P
if X==0 P <= 0
if X==0 R <= 0
Add binary Y
if Y==0 R >= PMAX - P
if Y==1 R >= P - PMIN
Note that if X==0 then Y==1.
It won't hurt to put it in explicitly:
Y >= 1-X            // might be redundant

Use small M for the conditional constraints, e.g.:
if Y==1 R >= P - PMIN
R >= P - PMIN - M*(1-Y)
This is correct for Y==1 or M big enough.
Make M as small as possible and still big enough.
Since it works for Y==1 assume Y==0 and X==1:
R >= P - PMIN - M
M >= P - PMIN - R <= PMAX - PMIN - 0
Any M >= PMAX - PMIN is valid
Use PMAX - PMIN
Simply picking a huge M is the wrong way to go.
It generates notoriously loose linear constraints
and causes numerical problems.
R >= P - PMIN - (PMAX - PMIN)*(1-Y)
R >= P + (PMAX-PMIN)*Y - PMAX

As Mate Hegyhati noted, you do not necesarily
need Y and the constraints that involve it.
If, for example,
one is minimizing a functions that only has one local minimum,
one does not need upper bounds on the function.

This should be enough, if R is not represented anywhere else, and it
should be as much as possible in the objective.

Otherwise I think You need an additional binary variable, Y,
representing whether P is closer to PMIN or to PMAX.

P <= (PMIN + PMAX) / 2 + (1-Y) * (PMAX-PMIN)/2
P >= (PMIN + PMAX) / 2 - (1-Y) * (PMAX-PMIN)/2

And then You can add these to the above constraints:

R >= P - PMIN - Y * PMAX
R >= PMAX - P - (1-Y)*PMAX

Hope this is what You are looking for, best regards,

Mate