[Help-glpk] Developing a new glpk-jni

From: Giampaolo Tomassoni
Subject: [Help-glpk] Developing a new glpk-jni
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 17:32:55 +0200

Dears,

I'm actually developing a jni interface to glpk. This is mostly because I need
better handling of fault and print messages than the ones actually available
with the jni library commonly used.

This modifications result in a sligtly different GlpkSolver class, which ends
being incompatible with the common one. In spite of avoiding clashes with the
current library, I would prefer to build one in a different namespace
(something like it.uniroma1.dptu.glpk, in example).

The version I'm developing is capable of discovering the hosting platform and
accordingly load a suitable jni library (if any). This means I'm somewhere in
the need to archive (ie: in a jar) one or more versions of the jni interface,
each one statically linked with the GLPK library.

Now, by the GLPK COPYING file I guess you adopt the GPL license.

My question is: do you believe that a (proprietary) Sun jre loading my jni
interface (which will be public) breaks the GLPK's GPL license? May I publish
my code under an LGPL license, albeit statically linking the GLPK one?

The end application I'm developing will be open source as well, so that there
is no license problem in this. But running it may...

I think this inconsistency wouldn't arise if GLPK would be published under the
LGPL license. Is this case planned?

Regards,

Giampaolo Tomassoni - IT Consultant
Piazza VIII Aprile 1948, 4