Re: [Help-glpk] proposal for gnu lp/mip low-level format

From: Brady Hunsaker
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] proposal for gnu lp/mip low-level format
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:18:17 -0400

This is certainly better than MPS format and is consistent with some
other common low-level formats.  The ability to give row and column
names is good.

The one thing I would add is some guidelines about precision and
numerical formats.  Is arbitrary precision allowed in the numbers?  I
guess the idea would be that numbers would be rounded (as always) to fit
in whatever floating-point data type that a solver uses, but with no
predefined precision limit in the file.  Therefore it is possible that
different solvers would round input differently if they use different
floating-point data types.

Also, I would perhaps make it explicit that various notations are
allowed:
-230.7
1.555e-07

What about slightly odd notations?
2.3e0004   (lots of unnecessary digits in the exponent)
231.3e7    (abnormal use of exponent)

Are real number input formats standardized anywhere?  I have a sense of
what's "normal" and what isn't, but I don't know if it's written down
anywhere.  This is important because we don't want some parsers to fail
on certain input files just because they disagreed on whether a format
was acceptable.

Brady