[Help-glpk] Re[2]: re-entrant test version of GLPK

From: Ronald V . Simmons
Subject: [Help-glpk] Re[2]: re-entrant test version of GLPK
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:25:12 -0400

This is IMHO stuff that are nice to have, but nothing that
one could not live without if needed.

Right. I do not see where reenterability is needed except the cases
when glpk is used in some
exotic environments like Java or Python :+)

I'm a little surprised at these two statements (even accounting for the smiley). I would have thought that branch-and-bound would have been a great candidate for multi-threaded implementation even outside of Java and Python, so that a multi-processor machine could be utilized most effectively.

An implementation which had one worker thread per processor and put the branch subproblems into a thread would seem to have a major performance advantage on big iron (to me anyway).

rvs