help-gengetopt

[help-gengetopt]Re: gengetopt

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: [help-gengetopt]Re: gengetopt
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:49:25 +0100

Person or Persons Unknown wrote:

>                                         Late Night, Sunday  1, October 2000
>
> I just found your piece of software.  I would really like to use it on my
> own project (tnef: http://world.std.com/~damned/software.html) (in fact i
> have been thinking of writing just this sort of tool for myself).  However
> it does not look like gengetopt handles the case of a long argument without
> a short argument equivalent.  Am i missing something?  Is this going to be
> added?  Perhaps i can hack it up to work, in which case i will send you the
> patch... i just didn't want to duplicate work.

actually it doesn't seem to have this feature (actually I'm not the main
author, so I can't say it for sure, and I can't test it at the moment,
but I'm quite sure that it doesn't handle it).

Actually it is an important feature and it really shoud be added to it.

So if you have time and would like to add it, please do :-)

The latest release is 2.1 (few days ago), and I don't think I'll make
many modifications to it, so a patch would be fine.

> Also what about long options which have duplicated short options.  For
> instance in my project i just recently chained my long option '--list' to
> be equivalent to the short option '-t' (like tar) but i don't want to keep
> people from using the old '-l' or '-n' options.  Can i do this with
> gengetopt?

I don't think so (sorry for my indecision, but at the moment I can't
test it, and I never tried what you say). If it's not possible it's
because of a test somewhere during the parsing; in this case we could
just remove that test, or, even better, make it depend it on a command
line parameter to gengetopt (such as --allow-dup-long-opts). Once again
if you feel like doing this modification, please do it.

I'm looking forward for your answer

did you know about the gengetopt mailing lists?

thanks in advance
see you soon
        Lorenzo

P.S. may I ask, just for curiosity, how you got in touch with gengetopt?

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|           http://infostud.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini     |
|  Mail Home        : address@hidden     |
|  Mail University  : address@hidden            |