help-flex

Re: Potential Copyright Issue

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: Potential Copyright Issue
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:49:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Edward Dore wrote:

> How long has the Flex tool existed (and been known as flex)? I ask
> because of the new Macromedia Presentation tool called Flex.
> Does the Free Software Foundation not hold the copyright on the name
> flex?

You're massively mixing up concepts there.  There is no such thing
as a copyright on a name.  That would be a trademark instead.

And whoever may be holding such a trademark on flex, it's quite certainly
not the FSF, nor would the holder of such a mark, if any, IMHO have
sufficient reason to challenge a tool doing a completely different job
about a conflict of trademarks.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (address@hidden)