help-flex

Re: Multi-byte support in 'flex'

From: Kingpin
Subject: Re: Multi-byte support in 'flex'
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:03:05 -0400 (EDT)

>       I've added support for multibyte characters to 'flex-2.5.4a'.  These

Please explain.  What is your definition of "multibyte characters"?
Japanese?  Chinese?  Hex digit pairs???  Arabic?  What encoding?
Unicode?

What is your definition of "allow"?

What is it about plain flex that does NOT "allow" multibyte characters
in the input?

You don't need to change flex to be able to scan Unicode, you just
need to write your own patterns to match everything.  (Yes, I have
done this for UTF-8 encoding.)

--
 - - Martin "Kingpin" Thurn                    address@hidden
     Research Software Engineer           (703) 793-3700 x2651

Size matters not.  Look at me! -- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back