Re: [h-e-w] File extention association in Windows 10

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] File extention association in Windows 10
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 19:26:48 +0200

> From: Bo Johansson <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 17:30:40 +0100
>
> When I double click on a file with .myext I am getting a dialoge with a
> selection between two idential alternatives,"GNU Emacs: The extensible
> self-documenting text editor". I do not know which to select. One of
> them starts Emacs and the other Runemacs.

Isn't there a "Browse" button there?  If there is, just navigate to
the directory where you have the Emacs executables, and select the
executable you want.  My advice is to select runemacs.exe for file
associations.  And if you are in the habit of having an Emacs session
open at all times, you should associate files with emacsclientw.exe
instead.

> My proposal is:
>
> 1) Change the text used in the "FileDescription", so they a different
> for emacs, runemacs, emacsclient and emacsclientw.
>
> 2) Create, register and use ProgID like "LibreOffice.Cgm". It could be
> GNUemacs.txt, GNUrunemacs.txt, GNUemacsclient.txt and GNUemacsclientw.txt

I don't see how would that help you resolve the problem, if you don't
know which of the 4 possible executables to associate with the files.