Re: [h-e-w] pcl-cvs/cvs error, "^M: no such repository"

From: Carl Seghers
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] pcl-cvs/cvs error, "^M: no such repository"
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:21:40 +0200

Hi Jeff,

Oops, I always seem to reply personally on the emacs list. Sorry about that. Normally one would expect the default reply to go to the list, but apparently not on the emacs list. I'll have to look out for that in the future.

Anyway, since your previous question was about editing remote files (how about the adviced tag function, does it work?), I figured it might have been an issue in this case as well. As it is not, I have no further suggestions, but...

I personally abandoned CVS in favor of Perforce. Perforce is normally a commercial product, but you can use it for free as long as you require only 2 views on the depot at most, which suits me perfectly well for my home use (we have perforce to at the company too). It gives you atomic commit with changelist views (i.e. see a complete change in all related files at once), which is what I missed most in CVS, and it may be a matter of taste but I find the integration with emacs (http://sourceforge.net/projects/p4el/) to be far superior than pcl-cvs.

Just my 2 cents

Carl

(Disclaimer: I have no stake in Perforce.)

Rancier, Jeff wrote:

No.  My repository is on my W2K box.  I'm trying to get my setup such that I
do my compiling on the Unix box, and run Emacs via X on a Sun.  I need to
keep the repository local, so I can back it up.

| > | > | Do you have your repository on a remote unix system, while working in | emacs on your PC? | | Carl |