Re: [h-e-w] Re: How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe,gre

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe,grep.exe... files to use
Date: 04 Mar 2003 13:07:14 -0500

"Michael R. Wolf" <address@hidden> writes:

> But I was hoping that I could accomplish this sequence
>
> 1. double-click icon to launch launch cygwin bash (to pick up
>    .profile_bash, especially for PATH)
>
> 2. bash would launch runemacs.exe (and as a bonus gnuclient)

Put runemacs.exe in ~/.bash_profile (note that it is _not_
~/.profile_bash).

Actually, I don't recommend that; you'll get another copy of emacs
every time you launch a login bash shell. But normally you only launch
one login shell (note that not every bash shell is a login shell).

I define a shell script to start emacs, called emacs.sh. I run it from
my bash shell by typeing ~/e<tab><ret> - that's five keystrokes, once per
power up. Simple enough.

> What this does for me is that it picks up the environment from my bash
> instead of Win2000.  I think this is better for my Unix brain.
> Perhaps it's not.  I've still got to resolve the double meanings of
> tilde (~)
>  1 - c:\                        # WinDOS perspective

Do you mean Windows places some meaning on "~" in a path/file name?
I've never seen that.

I suspect what you mean is that something defined the HOME environment
variable to be "c:\", in the Windows environment. You can change that
in your System control panel (the details vary with the specific
Windows version you have) (on Windows 9x/ME, it's in c:\autoexec.bat,
not the System control panel).

>  2 - \cygdrive\c\home\toshiba   # cygwin perspective

That's the default value Cygwin uses if HOME is not defined (I think).

You should set HOME in your Windows environment variables; it is the
only environment variable you need to set there; the rest can be set
in ~/.bash_profile or ~/.emacs.

> so I'm still schizophrenic about running a Unix set of tools on a
> WinDOS box.  It's still not completely unified, and I guess it never
> will be (or can be).

One problem I just ran into is that Cygwin uses the Windows registry.
So if you ever need to run two versions of Cygwin for two different
Windows processes, you can't!

--
-- Stephe