Re: [h-e-w] Redraw problem with Emacs 21 - more info

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Redraw problem with Emacs 21 - more info
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:56:15 +0000

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, andy ling uttered the following:

>>address@hidden writes:
>
>>>    GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195) of 2001-10-22 on buffy
>>>    Running on Win2K
>>>
>>>    I have just noticed a redraw "funny". If you have two frames
>>>    side by side positioned such that the frame on the left is in
>>>    front of the frame on the right and overlaps it so the scroll
>>>    bar just covers the left fringe and the right frame "hangs"
>>>    below the left frame. Then scroll the right frame. You will see
>>>    part of the scroll bar of the left frame in the fringe are of
>>>    the right. At least I do on my system
>>>

> Jason Rumney suggseted this may be a Windows bug. Well I've got
> a bit more info which may help to find out.
>
> I can now repeat this very easily. The redraw goes wrong for
> any partially covered window if the bit that is covered has
> a larger font in it.

Another way to replicate this without having focus following mouse, is
to use ediff, leave the control frame in its default location over the
main frame and where you have two areas of differences close together
and from the second diff you go back to the first (still visible) -
press 'p' , part of the control frame gets moved down the background
frame (Windows 98 SE here in case that's becoming relevant)

In this case the fonts are identical however there are different text
properties operating

Robert Marshall