help-debbugs

Re: bug#20661: What prevents me from getting a preview?

From: Reinhard Kotucha
Subject: Re: bug#20661: What prevents me from getting a preview?
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 01:35:58 +0200

Hi,
it seems that my response didn't get to the bug-auctex list for some
reason .

Markus sent me the output of TeX-submit-bug-report privately but it
contains two contradicting entries:

    preview-gs-command nil

    Output from running `nil -h':

In the first case »nil« is a boolean (TeX-submit-bug-report usually
quotes strings properly) but in the second case »nil« must be a string.

Is there a bug in TeX-submit-bug-report?  Can »nil« be a boolean and a
string at the same time?  As I said before, TeX-submit-bug-report
usually quotes strings properly:

    preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"

Given that Markus accidentally did something like

    (setq preview-gs-command "nil")

then I would expect that TeX-submit-bug-report returns

    preview-gs-command "nil"

but not

    preview-gs-command nil

And if »nil« is indeed a boolean, the message

  Output from running `nil -h':

is unexplainable, at least to me:

    (concat "nil" " " "-h")
    => "nil -h"