help-debbugs

Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 20:02:37 -0500

Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Well, as long as the bug reporting wizard doesn't even tell a user that
> he should try to do that...

Surely basic common sense (as well as the Emacs manual) should tell a
user to try that. Anyway, let's move on...

> When I search for "next-line previous-line goal-column" (without the
> quotes), I find *nothing*...

I suspect it is a literal search.

> When I search for "next-line, previous-line and goal-column" I get 4
> bugs again.
>
> Why does that comma and the "and" make any difference?

>From trying to read the code, eg

http://bzr.donarmstrong.com/debbugs/branches/emacsbugs/cgi/pkgreport.cgi

it looks like "," acts as OR. So you are searching for "next-line" OR
"previous-line and goal-column". The advertized way to do an OR is to
specify "with subject containing" option multiple times. These seem to
give equivalent results.

There is a fancier search at http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/search.cgi,
but it does not work, since it needs "Hyper Estraier" support to be
activated and I do not know how to do that.

I'm not sure how useful it is, given that G**gle searches of
site:debbugs.gnu.org work, and that
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/ is also searchable.