help-cfengine

Re: Feature request: Make undefined variables an error

From: Alexander Jolk
Subject: Re: Feature request: Make undefined variables an error
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:15:46 +0200

Eric Sorenson wrote:
On my test case, before the patch I ended up with a file named /tmp/$(testvar) which, truly I can't imagine being the desired behavior. It seems like fixing this would really be a good way to catch typos and so forth. Does anybody on the list rely on the current behavior?

Well, I actually do rely on it in some way.  I often copy: files from my
server according to some variable's value.  As an example, an X11 driver
will be copied to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so from
$(fileserver)/linux/$(nvdrv)/nvidia_drv.so-$(nvver), where the variable
nvver is defined according to which version I want to install on a
particular client.  Now I simply don't have to worry about this code for
any machine that doesn't properly define $(nvver), the copy will just
silently fail, but the rest of the config goes on correctly.

Of course, I can work around this particular instance by
AllowRedefinitionOf = ( nvver )
nvver = ( undefined )
classes::
nvver = ( nv7174 )

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj@buf.com
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29