help-cfengine

Re: version control

From: Ed Brown
Subject: Re: version control
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:17:00 -0700

We use CVS, as many sysadmins are already familiar with it, though it
has limitations and quirks.

In update.conf:
---------------
shellcommands:
   QA_policy_server::
        "/bin/sh -c 'cd /<policyrootdir> && umask 0002 && /usr/bin/cvs
-Q -d /var/CVS co <4 teams' modules>'" inform=false

By doing the 'cvs update' in update.conf, and by using a CVSROOT/loginfo
trigger that runs cfagent on commits, changes are effective immediately
after they are committed.  These steps are simplified by having the CVS
repository on the QA_policy_server.  Production servers are sync-ed from
the the QA server when ready.

-Ed