help-cfengine

Re: SUMMARY: Too many cfagents running. Was: Load problem with cfserv d

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: SUMMARY: Too many cfagents running. Was: Load problem with cfserv d
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:38:23 -0600

Frank Smith wrote:

> Mark Burgess wrote:
>
> > .... Please let's be clear about this, The problems people are
> > hvaing with Berkeley DB are 99% to do with version management.
>
> I agree it's a version management issue, but what is the solution?
> Chances are the system libdb will get updated at times not always
> coinciding with cfengine builds, so you either have to maintain a
> separate set just for cfengine, and ensure that the correct ones
> are actually linked in at runtime, or you need to link cfengine
> statically.

A version of Berkeley DB could be pulled into the cfengine code base,
and tracked for developments and security problems. That would prevent
the versioning problems and eliminate a dependency, which would be nice
for a tool that is often used to configure machines from a very bare
state.

Or, since Berkeley DB is (more or less) just key-value associations on
disk, maybe there is a lighter library that could be imported, or even
written from scratch. I know that there are performance benefits to
using Berkeley DB, as it has gone through the gauntlet, but there still
might be something to be gained from this approach.