help-cfengine

Re: Patches vs. Packages

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Patches vs. Packages
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:57:53 -0800

Patches seem to come in two flavors:

1. Packaged patches -- some vendors roll up (sets of) patches into a package
that the package manager can deal with.

2. Simple patches -- (sets of) files that a vendor deems has to get out now for
some bug -- the vendor may or may not have time to "package"-ize it, but will
merely document it.

Obviously, therefore, the form of patches can be as varied as packages (or even
more than!).  Every vendor has his own favorite ways -- from simple tarballs of
files to shell/Perl scripts to real packages.

David Masterson
Symbol Technologies

>>> Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 03/17/05 03:34PM >>>
        Hi all.  My system doesn't have to deal with patches (being a
Linux system and all), but I was wondering if it would be effective to
treat patches as a type of package.

Common features (guessing here):
-       Install, Upgrade, Remove, and Checkversion are the main actions
-       Both have dependencies
-

        Would it be reasonable to treat patches as a case of packages?
Can I have some input from someone who knows about patches?  (Chip? :) ).

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator