help-cfengine

Re: Large install and roll-out

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: Large install and roll-out
Date: 14 Mar 2002 17:43:40 +0100

    Matt> Adrian, doesn't installing a debian package sometimes
    Matt> involve interactive prompting?  Or do the -q -q options take
    Matt> care of that even at the dpkg/debconf level?

Some of them but very few seem to, at least the type of packages that
one would install on a server. The -q -q doesn't do anything to stop
package post installs that ask questions. Whats needed is a
combination of :-

- make sure debconf.conf has noninteractive
- on initial install I have had to set DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
  before calling apt-get install (for libc6 ?)
- setup apt.conf with :
    // Make sure dpkg doesn't overwrite our changes
    // and, just as importantly for cfengine, doesn't
    // ask any questions either
    DPkg::Options {"--force-confold";};

I think thats it. For bind I had to make sure it looked like samba was
configured before installing the package by setting up the
debian_config file; I must admit it tooks some time but Debian is
becoming more question free even as I write :-)

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Your mouse has moved.