Re: how to get left hand side symbol in action

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: how to get left hand side symbol in action
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 19:43:03 +0200

> Le 10 mai 2019 à 16:28, Christian Schoenebeck <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
> On Freitag, 10. Mai 2019 06:57:00 CEST Derek Clegg wrote:
>> In fact, I do not think error messages in the generated parser should be
>> provided by bison, except as a trivial default. Instead, I’d like to see
>> bison call a function (which I provide) when a syntax error occurs, with a
>> list of what was expected along with what was encountered. Obviously, they
>> should be provided without translation. That would be the most flexible.
>
> Yep, I can just agree.

Except that you don't.  The API that was proposed initially did not
fit your need.  At least, that was my understanding of

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-bison/2019-02/msg00018.html

Listen guys (Derek, Christian): how about you submit a patch of what
you think the feature should be?  Then it will be _much_ easier to
discuss.  First, agree together (you two), then see what is the reaction
here, including mine, obviously (since in practice, AFAICT, nobody
else is offering to spend time to maintain Bison :-).

I plan to release 3.4 soon, and to revive what I had done for the
internationalisation of error messages.  If we coordinate ourselves
correctly, the focus of 3.5 could be error messages.

Cheers!