Re: Exception safety of generated C++ parser

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Exception safety of generated C++ parser
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:55:18 +0200

Le 24 sept. 2012 à 16:49, Oleksii Taran a écrit :

> Sorry for late answer

No worries.

> I've tested maint-exception-safety branch on my project. Well, it is
> quite good, major memory leaks are gone.

Good news!

> I've noticed some strange
> leaks, but they are really small, and I can't trace the reason of it. I
> will test it for some time now. Anyway, good job!

I would really like to have some more information about these leaks.
Note that if there are some types that require a %destructor, but
you don't provide one, then there is nothing that Bison can do to
release them.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that I took the wrong
path, and exception safety should be addressed at the yyparse level:
put the whole function into a try/catch block.  That way, we are
also protected from errors in %printer, %destructor, %initial-action,
yyerror, and maybe other places I didn't think about.  I will provide
another patch in the near future.

Thanks!