query : using BISON for static analysis engine

From: yadav.yadavendra
Subject: query : using BISON for static analysis engine
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:30:33 +0530

Hi,

Am writing to you to check the applicability of BISON  as a frontend to
our static analysis engine.

*
        Our engine simulates runtime behavior of C/C++ programs
statically; it typically requires the exact intended semantics to be
captured as part of the AST. However, sometimes, we may live with
incomplete simulation of semantics in corner cases.
*
        The input to our engine is millions of lines of mature,
production quality code, sometimes highly legacy too; we cannot modify
them for the analysis; these sources would span multiple dialects & are
compilable by one of the several compilers (and versions thereof) that
exist today
*
        We do not have the luxury of terminating the analysis due to
parser failure; we do have the ability to live with incomplete
information in corner cases though. All the above essentially means that
we need a permissive parser that works out of  the  box for all the
common dialects (like g++, msvc++, etc.) and almost works fine for the
non-so-popular dialects.
*
        We could contribute back testcases, and perhaps other hacks as
we create them
*
        Our software runs on Linux

Please let us know if  BISON would be applicable to us. Also, if you
have any useful pointers in this regard, kindly share the same.

Thanks,
Yadavendra Yadav