Re: Bison 1.50 Type Clash on XFree86 Compile

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Bison 1.50 Type Clash on XFree86 Compile
Date: 10 Oct 2002 11:44:55 +0200

| Hello,
| Yesterday I was working on compiling version 4.2.1 of XFree86.  There
| is a yacc file programs/twm/gram.y which bombs the X compile.  The
| message I receive is:
|

| gram.y:452.17-462.32: type clash (`' `num') on default action
|
| When I try with bison 1.35 I get no error and the program compiles
| smoothly.  I searched around a little and found a post which said to
| add a default action of { $$ = $1; } to the list and that would take
| care of the problem.  However when adding that action I still get the
| bison error.

Actually, this is a misfeature of the order into which things are
processed in bison.  The real problem is the missing `;' which left
Bison thinking that the following lhs was actually another rhs.  Of
course it finally found that there was no action at all after the
wanabe-lhs.

Merely add the missing `;' it is complaining about.  Sorry about the problem.