Re: [Help-bash] Slow response?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Slow response?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 09:18:29 -0400

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 01:52:28PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> HP used ESC and then a letter such
> as 'h' where "ESC h" was the same as keypad Home.  When I used HP
> serial terminals and used vi I would quite often be in insert mode and
> then hit ESC to exit insert mode and 'h' to move backward to go edit
> something.  But if I were too quick then it would be ESC h which on HP
> serial terminals and hpterms is the Home keypad escape sequence.

For me, it was the ibm3151 terminal, and ESC B (go to command mode, go
back to start of current Word).  On the ibm3151, \EB is kcud1 (down
arrow).

It's been 20+ years, but I *think* that my workaround at the time was
to press "ESC SPACE B".  The SPACE broke up the escape sequence, so
that I could press B as quickly as I wanted, instead of having to wait.

It's good to know that other people have (partly) shared my experiences!