Re: [Help-bash] shopt -s nullglob disables TAB completion

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] shopt -s nullglob disables TAB completion
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 08:24:36 -0400

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 02:10:04PM +0200, Cristian Zoicas wrote:
> Thank you for your reply. You are somehow right. Here is what I get
> after "complete -r":
>
>    * After "complete -r" when only the default bash completion is
>      used the completion works well.
>
>    * Without 'complete -r', when programable completions are used, after
>      "shopt -s nullglob" completions do not work at all.
>
> When I run the command 'complete' I see many compspecs defined on
> my machine (Debian GNU/Linux 8.10 (jessie)). I am not able to
> figure out which one of these compspecs causes this behavior.
> If this is not a behavioral bug, then it I think that it can be considered
> a documentation bug the fact that 'shopt -s nullglob' can alter
> is not specified in the manual.

It might be considered a bug in bash-completion, which is a separate
project from bash.

Since you're not on the current stable release of Debian, your best
course of action is probably to determine whether the same problem
still exists on Debian stable (or even unstable/testing), and if so,
to report the bug to Debian.  The Debian bash-completion packager
can decide how to proceed from there.

It's been my experience that Debian bug reports for older-than-stable
releases are not likely to accomplish much.  YMMV.