Re: [Help-bash] Awkward behavior of empty arrays

From: Andy Chu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Awkward behavior of empty arrays
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 16:57:37 -0700

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Chet Ramey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9/7/17 4:00 PM, Andy Chu wrote:
>
> > I had noticed that some people discourage or complain about "bash-isms"
> > (this seems to be common in Debian.)  As far as I can tell, most of those
> > things are historically "ksh-isms", but nobody calls them that.
>
> The comparison isn't against ksh. It's mostly made against dash, which is
> much "purer", or sometimes Posix. It happens the most on Debian because
> Debian uses dash as /bin/sh.

Yes, I've done a lot of tests of dash behavior.  I'm pointing out that
certain things are called "bash-isms" that may not have originated with
bash.

For example, I think it's likely the address@hidden and set -u behavior
originated
with ksh (and I'm glad it was fixed in 4.4).  POSIX is of course silent
since it doesn't have arrays.

Andy