Re: [Help-bash] have the same column L

From: Dennis Williamson
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] have the same column L
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 20:51:43 -0500

On Jul 17, 2017 7:57 PM, "Val Krem" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi all, Sorry for the confusion. I started using Linux environment
recently. I  found it very useful, and powerful. I am still learning.

The data that I am working on is ASCII file.  One of the column of the
file  contains alphanumeric and I want each row of this column to have the
same columns length.

Thank you for the help I  got right  what I wanted to do using this

cat filename |awk '{printf "%010s\n",$1}' | sed 's/ /0/g'

cat and sed are unnecessary. AWK can do everything you are using them for.