help-3dldf

Re: [help-3dldf] contributing to 3DLDF

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: [help-3dldf] contributing to 3DLDF
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:38:01 +0100 (CET)

> Laurence, thanks for putting lots of time into writing relevant and
> explained replies to my questions.

You're welcome.

> I have found one project that nearly
> matches on what I want to have experience with. I will start working on
> that package from today. that package, named CAT++,  is being created to
> be a free replacement for Blitz++:

Good.  I'm glad you found something suitable and I wish you every success
with it and with finding employment.

> I am sorry that ate lots of time of yours and still did not come as of any
> help.

Don't worry.  You didn't take up that much time and a couple of your
messages are in the mailing list archive now, so I can refer to them if
someone else has a similar question.  It's not the first time this has
happened and it may well not be the last.

> BTW, I talked with my friend about 3DLDF and he said it feels like AutoCAD
> for Linux :) , GNUcad is the alias for 3DLDF that immediately flashed into
> my brain =) , can we use 3DLDF like we use AutoCAD in Windows ?, (like GCC
> repleces VC++  or 3DLDF is something different ?

It does many of the same things as a CAD package, including the basic
operations.  It can, of course, be used for technical drawings.  I'm
afraid I can't compete with Autodesk as far as resources are concerned.  I
have applied for jobs there, but no luck.  If GNU 3DLDF had a GUI, I think
people would be more willing to try it.  However, I'm certainly not going
to program a GUI, since it would be much more sensible to program a way
for 3DLDF to interact with GIMP.

I call 3DLDF a package for three-dimensional drawing, but there's not much
difference between that and CAD.  I haven't programmed things like
different gear shapes, standard mechanical parts, or a means of labelling
parts according to the relevant standards --- all things one would expect
from a CAD program.

> (a long time ago, my friend (A Mechanical Engineer) became sad at how
> there was no proper replacement for AutoCAD on Linux. Nearly 100% of
> engineers in INDIA are dependent on Windows because there is no Free
> Replacement and Linux has nothing to offer something like that)

The problem is money.  GNU/Linux distributions do include other 3D
software, but developing a package like AutoCAD would require a large
investment.  I'd like nothing better than for someone to come along and
support my work financially.

Best wishes,

Laurence