heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: toward 1.0 (was Re: version 0.001)

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: toward 1.0 (was Re: version 0.001)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:58:38 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 06:59:31AM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > not nec soon it might be nice to allow the user to independently rate
> > the emotion alone, the explanation alone and the emotion and explanation
> > together.
>
> Yes, that is literally a five minute change.

That's a good sign.

> However, I don't want to spend time updating the code at
> cappaberra.com.  So you won't see independent ratings
> until we have a dedicated server.
>
> Two more questions:
>
> 1. Can I remove the "At least" prefix?  I don't understand
> why we should "hint" that the primary goal was not satisfied.

Well, in the grand scheme of things we should definitely try it
both ways.  Short term, I'm not sure.  I'd be surprised if it were not
trivial to change.  I personally think it drive the point home clearer if
you say  "at least".  I would argue that we hope to catch the eye of some
clinicians after my talk on Thurs.

Why do I personally think this?  Perhaps you liked your father more than
me?  Perhaps you were less selfish than me?  Perhaps I took my dad for
granted but craved  train rides, whereas you practically "owned trains"
but hardly saw daddy.  Perhaps I read the scenario and pretend I am a
little boy (who might be more egocentric and more likely to take his
father for granted)?....The point is, I'll bet the personality
(amongst other factors) plays a big role in the fine points of how
believable something is.

Btw, can I use the drawing of the heart you made in my talk?
(Embarrased flush) I'm probably gonna want to import it into
Powerpoint.  Remember we are dealing with psychologists.  I don't
want to hope that they can parse some non windows display environment.
Further, (another embarrased flush) I couldn't even begin to tell
you what those are.

Back to removing "at least" vs not...

Eric wanna ride on train.
Daddy and Eric ride in car.

Maybe we could ask subjects to do items like this:

Please rank the following in terms of their believability...

Eric feel happy bc at least he got to be with his father.
Eric feel happy bc he got to be with his father.
Eric feel indifferent bc at least he got to be with his father.
Eric feel indifferent bc he got to be with his father.
Eric feel sad bc at least he got to be with his father.
Eric feel sad bc he got to be with his father.

...that might be too annoying for most people.  Maybe a subset would
be easier.

Anyway, the winning argument for the short term is that we should
do it exactly the way I did it in my dissertation.  We want to replicate
my dissertation with "people eating cheetos in their underwear".  This
I believe is what you refer to as a "methodology paper."

Ughh, I need to get back to my talk.

> 2. Would you say that "generativity" means that we model a
> multitude of plausible appraisals for same situation cue?

Ding!  Exactly.

> Next I'm working on user identity management.  When I'm done
> with that then we'll be 99% ready.

YES!!!!!