heartlogic-dev

[Heartlogic-dev] Re: web hosting

From: Joshua N Pritikin
Subject: [Heartlogic-dev] Re: web hosting
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:48:38 +0530

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:51:45PM -0600, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> Hmm, you are talking about hosting the heartlogic web site?

Yes.

> You would need a password and account right?

Yes, typically via ssh.

> What kind of machine would do?  E.g. would a 133 Mhz 64Meg
> machine do?

You mean your machine?  Maybe.  I'm not sure if that would
be faster than a 2GHz P-4 with a load of 90.  It might be.  ;-)

1. We need a reliable high speed internet connection.

2. The box needs to stay on for 24 hours and should not
be used for any other purpose.

3. I need to be able to install and configure the
appropriate software.  (This may be a problem for your
home machine.  I don't want to mess you up.)

> If not, perhaps, I can get some interest from Bruce Porter
> the CS person on my committee.

It would be good to make a preliminary enquiry.  We will
certainly use KM in the initial stage and maybe indefinitely.

There are lots of alternate solutions too.

My brother is willing to host it on his home network
for a short duration.  No guarantee about reliability
though.

After 1-3 months, we'll have a sense of our popularity
and it will be a lot easier to plan.

Who knows, we might even attract funding.  Even a little
money would go a long way.  There are lots of hosting
companies offering a fast machine for $100 per month.
For example:

  http://www.serverbeach.com/catalog/debian_servers.php

I am just trying to figure out a cheap & high performance
solution for the first few months.

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/aleader