[Health] Question about license of ICD10 data

From: Sebastian Hellmann
Subject: [Health] Question about license of ICD10 data
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 19:46:33 +0200

Dear all,

I am from DBpedia, which focuses on Open Data. We would like to load ICD-10 on the new DBpedia Databus, but we are a bit unsure because of the license.

We can see that you have the data at gnuhealth-3.2.9/health_icd10/data

Our questions are:

1. How did you manage to get this data under the GPL license?

2. DBpedia will be (Open Data Commons Attribution License) ODC-By with the individual parts licensed under other licenses ranging from CC-0 to BY, SA and NC . However, we don't know how we can treat the GPL for data.

Probably like this: if you derive a database from a GPL source the some sort of copyleft has to apply, but no attribution? If the data is used in a program it is CC-0 as it falls under the communication part, i.e. application communicating with the database software: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Linking_and_derived_works

--
All the best,
Sebastian Hellmann

Director of Knowledge Integration and Linked Data Technologies (KILT) Competence Center
at the Institute for Applied Informatics (InfAI) at Leipzig University
Executive Director of the DBpedia Association
Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://nlp2rdf.org, http://linguistics.okfn.org, https://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt
Homepage: http://aksw.org/SebastianHellmann
Research Group: http://aksw.org