Re: [Health] [Health-dev] Setting patient CLASS in GNU Health to match t

From: Emilien Klein
Subject: Re: [Health] [Health-dev] Setting patient CLASS in GNU Health to match the FHIR guidelines?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:29:10 +0200

<address@hidden>:
> Hi Luis
>
> I think we also need to bring the patient CLASS (= patient
> type/location/encounter) into line with FHIR.
>
> 1.14.2.1.182.1 EncounterClass
>

> Classification of the encounter
>
> This value set defines its own terms in the
> system http://hl7.org/fhir/encounter-class
> Code    Display Definition
>
> inpatient
>         An encounter during which the patient is hospitalized and stays
> overnight.
>

> outpatient              An encounter during which the patient is not
> hospitalized
> overnight.
>
> ambulatory              An encounter where the patient visits the practitioner
> in his/her office, e.g. a G.P. visit.
>
> emergency               An encounter where the
> patient needs urgent care.
>
> home            An encounter where the practitioner visits
> the patient at his/her home.
>
> field           An encounter taking place outside the
> regular environment for giving care.
>
> daytime                 An encounter where the patient
> needs more prolonged treatment or investigations than outpatients, but who do
> not need to stay in the hospital overnight.
>
> virtual                 An encounter that takes
> place where the patient and practitioner do not physically meet but use
> electronic means for contact.

These values makes sense to me, except the distinction between
outpatient and ambulatory. I've used both used to mean the same as
what is here described as "outpatient", e.g. appointment during the
day in the hospital.

> Should the "default setting" when creating new
> patients be "ambulatory"?

I suppose that depends on the context.
If the user creating the patient is working in a clinic that seems
mostly outpatients, then yes.
But in the Emergency Department, you'll probably be creating patients
that should have a default class of "emergency".

Is there a way for GNU Health to know in what context the user
currently is (e.g. a department that you are "logged into"?)

    +Emilien