Re: [Health] OT: gnuhealth package in Debian (was: Problems with importi

From: Luis Falcon
Subject: Re: [Health] OT: gnuhealth package in Debian (was: Problems with importing translation files in a VBox installation)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:31:18 -0500

Hi Mathias, all
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:45:38 +0200
Mathias Behrle <address@hidden> wrote:

> * Cédric Krier: " Re: [Health] [HEALTH] Problems with importing
> translation files in a VBox installation" (Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:50:58
> +0200):
>
> Hi all,
>
> several subjects were mixed up in this thread.
>
> > On 11 Jun 22:54, Luis Falcon wrote:
> > > Dear Emilien

> > > This does not make sense.
>
> True. The current gnuhealth package is due to uninstallation form the
> archive, becuase it fails with piuparts (an installation testing
> tool). It is basically impossible for Emilien to fix this package,
> because it can not be built against tryton 3.0 any more (3.2 sitting
> in sid).
As Cedric said, Debian packaging system should be able to have to
different versions of a package, like Tryton.

> Emilien decided to fix the package in removing those components, that
> tried to make the package work "out of the box". To say the truth, I
> am one of those not being sad about that, because I had several
> issues with that setup. The upcoming gnuhealth package will just
> install the modules on the system, which for me is the proper way. So
> the future gnuhealth package (due to upload with availability of
> gnuhealth for Tryton 3.2) for me is in better shape as before.
Great !
> > > In a similar manner that python2 and python3 can co-exist on the
> > > same system, you can perfectly have two versions of Tryton or GNU
> > > Health.
> >
> > For now, it is not really possible to have 2 different series of
> > Tryton installed on the same «site-packages». That's the problem of
> > Debian packages. But I think Debian packager could provide 2
> > packages (not installable both together) or more packages for each
> > supported Tryton series. This will allow for those who have
> > installed GNU Health to stay on the old series until the support of
> > the new series came out. It will also give more flexibility to the
> > user to stick on a specific series for a while instead of forcing
> > everyone to upgrade.
You can just use the standard installation method [1] - which allows
co-existing versions of Tryton - , and enjoy GNU Health in your favorite
Libre Operating System or GNU/Linux distro :)

> Exactly. That was evaluated to do and still is in the pipeline. There
> is a trade-off to be handled between effort, distribution conventions
> and popularity of the package.
>
> That said, I want to emphasize, that it is currently very well
> possible to stick with specific Tryton versions via
> debian.tryton.org. After some testing of the new gnuhealth package I
> will consider to put it also in the backports section. The latter for
> me seems to be the preferable way, as it will be possible to provide
> gnuhealth for quite more different scenarios than it could be in
> Debian main.
Great ! Good to know that GNU Health 2.6 will be considered in Debian.

Please consider using the gnuhealth installer as the base for the
installation package in your distro. It much easier to interact with the
community, following the "official" installation instructions,
reporting issues, etc..

This subject has been long debated, so I won't get into it again :)

That said, I know there are different views on this, and I respect each
operating system/distro way of packaging / installing GNU Health.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestions and support !

1.- http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=GNU_Health/Installation

--
Luis Falcon
GNU Health : Freedom and Equity in Healthcare