[Health] OT: gnuhealth package in Debian (was: Problems with importing t

From: Mathias Behrle
Subject: [Health] OT: gnuhealth package in Debian (was: Problems with importing translation files in a VBox installation)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:45:38 +0200

* Cédric Krier: " Re: [Health] [HEALTH] Problems with importing translation
  files in a VBox installation" (Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:50:58 +0200):

Hi all,

several subjects were mixed up in this thread.

> On 11 Jun 22:54, Luis Falcon wrote:
> > Dear Emilien
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:59:19 +0200
> > Emilien Klein <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Constantine,

> > > GNU Health has been packaged for Debian, with version 2.4.1 currently
> > > available in Debian Testing.
> > > But there are several issues that looks like that I'm going to remove
> > > the package from the Debian archive in the coming 2 weeks, namely
> > > version conflicts with Tryton which renders the package
> > > unbuildable/uninstallable in Debian sid for 2/3 of the year.
> > This does not make sense.

True. The current gnuhealth package is due to uninstallation form the archive,
becuase it fails with piuparts (an installation testing tool). It is basically
impossible for Emilien to fix this package, because it can not be built against
tryton 3.0 any more (3.2 sitting in sid).

Emilien decided to fix the package in removing those components, that tried to
make the package work "out of the box". To say the truth, I am one of those not
being sad about that, because I had several issues with that setup. The
upcoming gnuhealth package will just install the modules on the system, which
for me is the proper way. So the future gnuhealth package (due to upload with
availability of gnuhealth for Tryton 3.2) for me is in better shape as before.

> > In a similar manner that python2 and python3 can co-exist on the
> > same system, you can perfectly have two versions of Tryton or GNU
> > Health.
>
> For now, it is not really possible to have 2 different series of Tryton
> installed on the same «site-packages». That's the problem of Debian
> packages. But I think Debian packager could provide 2 packages (not
> installable both together) or more packages for each supported Tryton
> series. This will allow for those who have installed GNU Health to stay
> on the old series until the support of the new series came out. It will
> also give more flexibility to the user to stick on a specific series for
> a while instead of forcing everyone to upgrade.

Exactly. That was evaluated to do and still is in the pipeline. There is a
trade-off to be handled between effort, distribution conventions and popularity
of the package.

That said, I want to emphasize, that it is currently very well possible to stick
with specific Tryton versions via debian.tryton.org. After some testing of the
new gnuhealth package I will consider to put it also in the backports section.
The latter for me seems to be the preferable way, as it will be possible to
provide gnuhealth for quite more different scenarios than it could be in Debian
main.

--

    Mathias Behrle
    MBSolutions

    Tel: +49(761)471023
    Fax: +49(761)4770816
    http://m9s.biz
    UStIdNr: DE 142009020
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6