h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Samsung Xpress M2825ND laser printer - cannot add t

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Samsung Xpress M2825ND laser printer - cannot add to H-Node
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 13:42:46 -0400

Hi Sam,

Would you mind also adding this as an issue at
<https://h-node.org/issues/viewall/en/1/token>? I'd like to make sure it
doesn't get lost, even if it takes a while for someone to get to it.

-john

Sam Kuper <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have access to a Samsung Xpress M2825ND printer. It seems to work
> well with fully free software. Unlike many of the low duty cycle
> printers I have previously encountered, with this one, all the
> features that I have tried so far worked fine from GNU/Linux with a
> libre kernel, including duplex printing. Given that it is relatively
> inexpensive and widely available, I would like to add it to H-node so
> that others can benefit from this information.
>
> Unfortunately, attempting to do so yields the error message,
> "VendorID:ProductID is already present in the database. This means
> that the device you are trying to insert is already in the database.
> See here: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd SL-M2820DW" with a link to
> https://h-node.org/printers/view/en/1398/Samsung-Electronics-Co---Ltd-SL-M2820DW/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/compatibility/undef
>
> This seems to me to be a bug in H-node. Just because two different
> printer models share a VendorID:ProductID pair does not mean that they
> are the same product (at least, not from the perspective of a person
> who wants to buy a printer!). Unlike the M2825ND, which as noted above
> is widely available at the moment, the SL-M2820DW seems to be
> obsolete: I can't find it for sale new on Amazon or eBay or anywhere
> else obvious. So, knowing that it works with GNU/Linux won't much help
> anyone who wants to buy a good printer.
>
> Therefore, I would very much like to add M2825ND to H-node, in the
> hope that other people might be spared some trouble when looking for a
> decent, current printer!
>
> Below is the information that I would have added to H-node had it
> allowed me to. Perhaps someone else can figure out a way to include it
> in H-node's hardware database?
>
> N.B. If you reply, please CC me, as I am not subscribed to the list.
>
> Thanks!
>

> model name: M262x/M282x Xpress Series Laser Printer
>
> possible other names of the device: Samsung Xpress M2825ND
>
> subtype: laser
>
> VendorID:ProductID code of the device: 04e8:331e
>
> year of commercialization: 2013
>
> interface (set not-specified if not sure): usb
>
> GNU/Linux distribution used for the test: debian_9
>
> tested with the following kernel libre: 4.9.0-3-amd64
>
> compatibility with free software: A-Full
>
> does it adopt any techniques to track users?: not specified
>
> free driver used (see the help page or leave blank if you are not sure):
> 2.2.1-8

> [code]sudo hwinfo --usb[/code] gives (after individually-identifying
> information redacted with X's):
>
> [code]
> USB 00.0: 10900 Printer
>   [Created at usb.122]
>   Unique ID: XXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX
>   Parent ID: XXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX
>   SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0
>   SysFS BusID: 1-1.2:1.0
>   Hardware Class: printer
> [...]

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.