h-source-users

[H-source-users] Samsung Xpress M2825ND laser printer - cannot add to H-

From: Sam Kuper
Subject: [H-source-users] Samsung Xpress M2825ND laser printer - cannot add to H-Node
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:39:42 +0100

Hi,

I have access to a Samsung Xpress M2825ND printer. It seems to work
well with fully free software. Unlike many of the low duty cycle
printers I have previously encountered, with this one, all the
features that I have tried so far worked fine from GNU/Linux with a
libre kernel, including duplex printing. Given that it is relatively
inexpensive and widely available, I would like to add it to H-node so
that others can benefit from this information.

Unfortunately, attempting to do so yields the error message,
"VendorID:ProductID is already present in the database. This means
that the device you are trying to insert is already in the database.
See here: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd SL-M2820DW" with a link to
https://h-node.org/printers/view/en/1398/Samsung-Electronics-Co---Ltd-SL-M2820DW/1/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/compatibility/undef

This seems to me to be a bug in H-node. Just because two different
printer models share a VendorID:ProductID pair does not mean that they
are the same product (at least, not from the perspective of a person
who wants to buy a printer!). Unlike the M2825ND, which as noted above
is widely available at the moment, the SL-M2820DW seems to be
obsolete: I can't find it for sale new on Amazon or eBay or anywhere
else obvious. So, knowing that it works with GNU/Linux won't much help
anyone who wants to buy a good printer.

Therefore, I would very much like to add M2825ND to H-node, in the
hope that other people might be spared some trouble when looking for a
decent, current printer!

Below is the information that I would have added to H-node had it
allowed me to. Perhaps someone else can figure out a way to include it
in H-node's hardware database?

N.B. If you reply, please CC me, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks!

model name: M262x/M282x Xpress Series Laser Printer

possible other names of the device: Samsung Xpress M2825ND

subtype: laser

VendorID:ProductID code of the device: 04e8:331e

year of commercialization: 2013

interface (set not-specified if not sure): usb

GNU/Linux distribution used for the test: debian_9

tested with the following kernel libre: 4.9.0-3-amd64

compatibility with free software: A-Full

does it adopt any techniques to track users?: not specified

free driver used (see the help page or leave blank if you are not sure): 2.2.1-8

[code]sudo hwinfo --usb[/code] gives (after individually-identifying
information redacted with X's):

[code]
USB 00.0: 10900 Printer
  [Created at usb.122]
  Unique ID: XXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX
  Parent ID: XXXX.XXXXXXXXXXX
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1a.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0
  SysFS BusID: 1-1.2:1.0
  Hardware Class: printer
  Model: "Samsung Electronics M262x/M282x Xpress Series Laser Printer"
  Hotplug: USB
  Vendor: usb 0x04e8 "Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd"
  Device: usb 0x331e "M262x/M282x Xpress Series Laser Printer"
  Revision: "1.00"
  Serial ID: "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
  Driver: "usblp"
  Driver Modules: "usblp"
  Speed: 480 Mbps
  Module Alias: "usb:v04E8p331Ed0100dc00dsc00dp00ic07isc01ip02in00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: usblp is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe usblp"
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #15 (Hub)
[/code]