gzz-dev

[Gzz] Proposed search bindings

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] Proposed search bindings
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:07:39 +0200

Hi,

I've been thinking about the text search bindings for Gzz. I think that this area of the interface must be REALLY SMOOTH: jumping between different ends of a space is fundamental to a fast interface, and just typing a few characters identifying the cell you want to go to is the easiest way to do this IMHO.

The alpha1 interface (Ctrl-F, enter search string, Enter -> goes to that cell) isn't good enough, I think. My first idea was this:

SP search string SP SP g

(where SP is space bar): Press space once to go into search mode; press space twice to exit search mode (this selects the cell as the object of the next action, shown in the status bar-- this is like cell numbers); press 'g' to go to the cell in the right window. 'G' would have gone to the cell in the left window; '-' 'l' would have connected the cell to the right.

However, SP is taken by Ted for bringing different windows front. (Maybe I should ask him to reconsider, IMHO this needn't be quite as fast and 'w' or ';' would be better...) Here are alternatives:

; search string ; g
' search string ' g
" search string " g

The double quote isn't good because it is harder to reach on European keyboards. The single quote isn't good because it will appear in many English search strings, and it would be awkward to have to leave it out. The semicolon isn't perfect, because a) the sign has no connection with the action, and b) at least German and Finnish keyboards will place it over the comma, so that Shift-, means something else than "move down in right-hand window." Still, it seems to be a relatively good binding at the moment (at least on US keyboards, where touch typists don't have to lift, much less twist their fingers to type it).

Opinions?

- Benja